- The Drug Take Back Solutions Foundation submitted a covered drugs stewardship plan and a home-generated sharps waste stewardship plan to CalRecycle on November 19, 2021. To request copies, you may submit a Public Records Act Request form and type “Drug Take Back Solutions Foundation Stewardship Plans submitted 11/19/21” in the “Records Desired” box.
- On November 10, 2021, CalRecycle notified UltiMed that its stewardship plan was found complete. CalRecycle has until January 10, 2022, to complete its compliance review and approve, conditionally approve, or disapprove the plan.
- On October 11, 2021, CalRecycle notified MED-Project that its stewardship plans are complete via a Covered Drugs Plan Completeness Letter and a Home-Generated Sharps Waste Plan Completeness Letter. CalRecycle has until December 13, 2021, to complete its compliance review and approve, conditionally approve, or disapprove the plans.
- MED-Project submitted a covered drugs stewardship plan and a home-generated sharps waste stewardship plan to CalRecycle on September 14, 2021. The stewardship plans are posted on CalRecycle’s pharmaceutical waste stewardship plan and home-generated sharps waste stewardship plan webpages.
- On January 7, 2021, the Office of Administrative Law approved the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Regulations, effective immediately.
- Please see the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Rulemaking Archive for CalRecycle’s Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship regulatory efforts.
Text version of Stewardship Program Implementation Timeline
- Certain dates on the timeline contain arrows. The arrows reflect the ability for dates to move into the future depending on:
- The duration of Board of Pharmacy's review prior to the program operator's stewardship plan submittal to CalRecycle;
- Potential stewardship plan resubmittals; and
- The time it may require CalRecycle to consult with other state agencies.
- The timeline starts with the regulations’ effective date of January 7, 2021. The six-month stewardship plan development phase begins.
- During the stewardship plan development phase, a program operator must submit its stewardship plan to Board of Pharmacy and other applicable agencies.
- CalRecycle’s 90-day review period starts when the program operator submits the stewardship plan to CalRecycle by July 7, 2021. This date has an arrow.
- CalRecycle completeness review by August 6, 2021. This date has an arrow.
- The 270-day Implementation phase starts with CalRecycle stewardship plan approval by October 5, 2021. This date has an arrow.
- Covered entities are subject to penalties if covered product is not subject to an approved stewardship plan by January 7, 2022.
- Program operator submits its first annual report to CalRecycle March 31, 2022.
- CalRecycle is required to post first list of compliant entities June 30, 2022.
- Stewardship plan fully implemented July 2, 2022. This date has an arrow.
Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship
Unwanted and improperly managed pharmaceutical drugs and home-generated sharps waste present significant public health, safety, and environmental problems at the end of their useful lives. These include negative impacts to water quality, sanitation, and solid waste, hazards for recycling workers, and increased potential for accidental poisonings and abuse by persons for which the medication was not intended.
California was the first state in the nation to pass a stewardship law for both pharmaceuticals and home-generated sharps waste.
The Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Program (Public Resources Code (PRC) sections 42030-42036.4) established industry-run statewide pharmaceutical and home-generated sharps waste stewardship program(s) to require safe and convenient disposal options for pharmaceutical drugs and home-generated sharps waste.
Resources and Contact Information
- Listserv: Click here to sign up for email updates related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law. You can review previous messages by visiting the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv Archive.
- Public Notices: For public notices related to CalRecycle’s oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Law (e.g., department decisions regarding regulations, plan approval, etc.) please visit the CalRecycle public notices page.
- CalRecycle Contact: Please contact email@example.com for questions or more information.
- Board of Pharmacy Contact: Please contact BOPstewardship@dca.ca.gov for questions or to submit information, pursuant to sections 42031 and 42032(b)(1) of the Public Resources Code.
- California Department of Public Health Contact: Please contact MedicalWaste@cdph.ca.gov for questions.
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control: Please visit this webpage and contact PharmStewardship@dtsc.ca.gov for questions.