- CalRecycle will conduct a webinar on March 24, 2021 from 1:00-4:00pm to present requirements and timing for stewardship plan and initial program budget submittal.
- On January 7, 2021, the Office of Administrative Law approved the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Regulations, after minor non-substantial edits were made, and forwarded them to the California Secretary of State for publishing. CalRecycle requested an early effective date, which was granted; therefore the regulations were effective immediately on January 7, 2021. The final regulatory text is published and available online.
- SB 212 (Jackson, Chapter 1004, Statutes of 2018) was approved by Governor Brown on September 30, 2018.
Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship
Why focus on Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste?
Unwanted and improperly managed pharmaceutical drugs and sharps present significant public health, safety, and environmental problems at the end of their useful lives. These include negative impacts to water quality, sanitation, and solid waste, hazards for recycling workers, and increased potential for accidental poisonings and abuse by persons for which the medication was not intended.
What is being done?
Governor Brown approved Senate Bill 212 (Jackson, Chapter 1004, Statutes of 2018) September 30, 2018 to establish safe and convenient disposal options
for pharmaceutical drug and home-generated sharps waste.
- Listserv: If you would like to receive periodic e-mail notifications about CalRecycle’s activities under SB 212, subscribe to CalRecycle’s Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv. You can review previous messages by visiting the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv Archive.
- Public Notices: For public notices that relate to CalRecycle oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Program (e.g., department decisions regarding regulations, plan approval, etc.) please visit the CalRecycle public notices page.
- Contact: Please contact email@example.com for questions or more information.
- Board of Pharmacy Contact: Please contact BOPstewardship@dca.ca.gov for questions or to send information, pursuant to Section 42031 of the Public Resources Code.