Please check here for the latest information on key CalRecycle activities related to implementation of SB 212, such as rulemaking and public workshops. More information will be added to this page as it becomes available.
- CalRecycle will conduct informal workshops to present draft regulatory text and solicit stakeholder feedback on May 17, 2019 in the Byron Sher Auditorium, located at Cal/EPA Headquarters
in Sacramento, and on June 17, 2019 in the South Coast Air Quality Management District Conference Center Auditorium in Diamond Bar, California.
- CalRecycle held informal rulemaking workshops on January 30, 2019 and February 27, 2019 to present draft
regulatory concepts and solicit stakeholder feedback on Articles 1-7 of Senate Bill 212. Workshop documents, including a video recording, are located on the public notice pages, which are linked above.
- SB 212 (Jackson, Chapter 1004, Statutes of 2018) was approved by Governor Brown on September 30, 2018.
Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship
Why focus on Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste?
Unwanted and improperly managed pharmaceutical drugs and sharps present significant public health, safety, and environmental problems at the end of their useful lives. These include negative impacts to water quality, sanitation, and solid waste, hazards for recycling workers, and increased potential for accidental poisonings and abuse by persons for which the medication was not intended.
What is being done?
Governor Brown approved Senate Bill 212 (Jackson, Chapter 1004, Statutes of 2018) September 30, 2018 to establish safe and convenient disposal options for pharmaceutical drug and home-generated sharps waste. See below for a timeline of major activities related to implementation of the law.
Anticipated Timeline of Major Activities
- Rulemaking: Please see the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Rulemaking page for more information regarding ongoing rulemaking efforts as well as relevant rulemaking documents.
- Listserv: If you would like to receive periodic e-mail notifications about CalRecycle’s activities under SB 212, subscribe to CalRecycle’s Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv. You can review previous messages by visiting the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Listserv Archive.
- Public Notices: For public notices that relate to CalRecycle oversight of the Pharmaceutical and Sharps Waste Stewardship Program (e.g., department decisions regarding regulations, plan approval, etc.) please visit the CalRecycle public notices page.
- Contact: Please contact email@example.com for questions or more information.