Our staff enjoys:
- Meaningful and interesting work protecting the environment.
- Competitive public employee wages.
- A comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and retirement plans.
- Continuous learning and development opportunities.
- A diverse, eco-friendly work environment.
How CalRecycle Has Made Positive Changes to the Environment
CalRecycle’s recycling and waste management programs have a major impact on California’s environment.
- 15 percent less waste is landfilled now compared to 1989 (from 44 million to 37.5 million tons), though our population has grown by 34 percent (from 29 million to 39 million residents).
- 18.5 billion beverage containers were recycled in California in 2018.
- Nearly 400 billion beverage containers have been recycled since 1986.
- Almost 42 million tires have been recycled or reused a year and large, illegal tire piles no longer accumulate and catch fire.
- 7 million tons (14 billion pounds) of wildfire debris have been removed by CalRecycle, enabling 20,000 families to start rebuilding.
- More than 1 million gallons of paint were recycled through the paint and stewardship program.
- 1 million mattresses were recycled through the mattress stewardship program.
- 2.3 billion pounds of electronic equipment recycled or safely managed through our e-waste program.
CalRecycle oversees wildfire cleanup projects that remove debris and enable communities to rebuild.
Benefits that Support Work/Life Balance
California offers state employees generous benefits that are hard to beat in the private sector and schedule options that support a healthy work/life balance.
Enjoy Life Outside the Office
CalRecycle employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year, one personal holiday, and sick and vacation leave or a combined pool of annual leave credits instead of separate vacation and sick leave.
Flexible Health Insurance Plans with Employer Contributions
The state of California offers a variety of health, dental, and vision insurance plans and makes monthly contributions toward the cost.
State employees start earning a retirement plan after working long enough to be eligible (usually five years). After that, savings grows every year worked for the state. When an employee retires, they receive a monthly payment from those savings.
Build a Strong Career with a Flexible Future
The state of California wants to help you build a career.
- The state provides on-the-job training and professional development.
- Many positions don't require previous experience or a degree.
- Advancement opportunities are open to you.
- Employees could receive annual raises until they reach the maximum salary for their position.
The state views employees as long-term investments. The state's employment structure supports a successful, fulfilling career. If an employee wants to make a change, they could transfer to another state job or department, while maintaining the same benefits and retirement plan.
CalRecycle employees have many opportunities to network with other divisions within the department as well as many state and federal agencies and private businesses. This culture allows employees to broaden their horizons, explore multiple career paths, and meet potential mentors.
CalEPA Headquarters: An Environmentally Conscious Building
CalRecycle's main offices are located in the heart of downtown Sacramento, close to:
- The State Capitol building
- Cesar Chavez Park
- K Street Mall and other shops
- Farmers markets
- City parking
The buildings are easily accessible by bicycle, light rail, city buses, and commuter buses with substantial discounts available on many transit passes.
Our modern, LEED Platinum-certified headquarters facility was designed with energy and water efficiency in mind.
- Solar energy panels
- Energy-efficient design throughout
- Childcare center
- Exercise room and showers
- Indoor bicycle parking
- Weekly farmers market across the street in Cesar Chavez Park, May-October
- Food waste recycling and other recycling programs
CalRecycle also has satellite offices in San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Riverside.
CalRecycle | CalEPA Building, Sacramento
Enjoy the Farmer's Market at nearby Cesar Chavez Park