Stewardship Plans under CalRecycle Review
Home-generated sharps waste stewardship plans submitted by potential program operators will be posted below.
- The Drug Take Back Solutions Foundation (The Foundation) submitted a Stewardship Plan for Home-Generated Sharps Waste to CalRecycle on November 19, 2021. To request a copy of the November 19, 2021 stewardship plan, you may submit a Public Records Act Request form on this webpage and type “Drug Take Back Solutions Foundation Sharps Stewardship Plan submitted 11/19/21” in the “Records Desired” box. On December 16, 2021, The Foundation submitted an addendum that comprises additional information pursuant to California Code of Regulations sections 18973.3(a),18973.3(f)(8), 18973.3(k), and 18973.6(a).
- CalRecycle plan completeness determination (December 20, 2021)
- Stakeholder Comments—CalRecycle received four stakeholder comments. Copies may be requested via a Public Records Act Request.
CalRecycle Approved Stewardship Plans
Home-generated sharps waste stewardship plans approved by CalRecycle are posted below.
- UltiMed, Inc. (UltiMed) submitted its UltiMed Sharps Stewardship Plan to CalRecycle on October 11, 2021. On November 4, 2021, UltiMed submitted an addendum.
- CalRecycle conditional approval (December 27, 2021)
- CalRecycle plan completeness determination (November 10, 2021)
- Stakeholder Comments—CalRecycle received three stakeholder comments. Copies may be requested via a Public Records Act Request.
- UltiMed previously submitted a home-generated sharps waste stewardship plan to CalRecycle on July 2, 2021.
- CalRecycle plan incomplete determination on initial plan submittal (July 30, 2021)
- On August 27, 2021, UltiMed withdrew the stewardship plan.
- MED-Project submitted A Product Stewardship Plan for Home-Generated Sharps Waste to CalRecycle on September 14, 2021, including Appendix A and Appendix B.
A program operator is allowed 270 days after stewardship plan approval to fully implement the program. After that time period, a local agency can begin submitting requests to a program operator for home-generated sharps waste disposal. The program operator may choose to provide reimbursement for transportation and disposal costs of home-generated sharps waste or provide for the removal of the home-generated sharps waste from the household hazardous waste facility. A cost is eligible for reimbursement if a local agency incurs the cost 270 days or more after CalRecycle approves the stewardship plan of a program operator from which a local agency requests the reimbursement.
Stewardship Plan Process
- The program operator shall submit its proposed stewardship plan to the California State Board of Pharmacy (state board) for review, and to any other applicable state agencies with areas of authority relative to the stewardship plan, before submitting the plan to CalRecycle. The state board and other agencies have 90 days to review for compliance with laws and regulations related to the agency’s respective authority. The contact information for the state board and other agencies can be found on the Sharps Waste Stewardship home page.
- On or before July 7, 2021, a program operator shall submit a stewardship plan to CalRecycle for approval. The duration of time the California State Board of Pharmacy takes to review a stewardship plan shall not count toward this deadline. CalRecycle will review submitted plan(s) and provide a completeness determination within 30 days. If a plan is complete, CalRecycle will approve, disapprove, or conditionally approve a plan within 90 days of receipt of a plan. Consultations with other state agencies can extend CalRecycle’s review deadlines.
- Covered entities must be subject to an approved stewardship plan by January 7, 2022.
- For more information, please visit the Law page.